YORK, Pa. – The Salisbury University volleyball team took down the York Spartans in straight sets on Wednesday to even their Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) record at .500.
Final Score: Salisbury 3, York 0 (25-21, 25-20, 25-17)
Record: Salisbury (15-8, 4-4 CAC) | York (14-13, 3-5 CAC)
Location: Wolf Gymnasium – York, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams battled back-and-forth in the opening set with both teams nodded up five times in the first set. Salisbury started pulling away in the middle of the set on a 6-2 run in the middle of the set, powered by a pair of kills by Jenna Feinauer put the Sea Gulls up 17-13. A Chloe Adam and Hannah Sullivan double block and an Adam kill ended the set in favor of Salisbury.
- The second set appeared to start the same as the first as the two teams jockeyed in the opening moments. But, the Salisbury attack would start finding holes in the York defense as the Sea Gulls hits .316 in the set with 16 kills to take the second set.
- Salisbury would get out to a 21-9 lead in the third set behind an 8-0 run which was powered by blocks from Sullivan, Adam and Carley Cleland. The Sea Gulls would seal the match with a Sydney Wilbur service error.
- As a team, Salisbury notched a .213 hitting percentage with 38 kills on 108 swings. York was only able to muster a .009 hitting percentage with 28 kills and 27 errors on 110 attacks.
- Chloe Adam and Amanda Chew each recorded nine kills.
- Hannah Sullivan tallied eight kills on 15 attacks. She also blocked six shots.
- Jenna Feinauer and Carley Cleland registered six and five kills respectively. Cleland rejected three York attacks while Feinauer chipped in with a pair of blocks.
- Blair Pausic dished out 33 assists in the win.
- Hailey Dougherty dug out a game-high 18 attacks. Darian DiMatteo chipped in with seven digs of her own.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury is now locked in a battle for the third through fifth seeds with Southern Virginia and York in the CAC Tournament. Christopher Newport and Mary Washington locked up the first two seeds in the tournament while St. Mary's will be the sixth seed.
- Salisbury will host the Southern Virginia Knights in an important CAC contest on Saturday.
- Prior to the match, Salisbury will recognize their seniors for Senior Day.
- The match is set to begin at 2 p.m.
- Live links are available on suseagulls.com