SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball team returned home on Wednesday night, defeating Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent York in a five-set thriller.
Final Score: Salisbury 3, York (Pa.) 2 (25-10, 19-25, 25-15, 27-29, 15-5)
Records: Salisbury (13-5, 2-2 CAC) | York (Pa.) (13-10, 2-2 CAC)
Locations: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Spartans kicked off the match with a quick 5-0 run but the Sea Gulls quickly found their groove to pull within 9-6. Salisbury then rallied off an impressive 15-0 run to take a commanding 24-9 lead before York finally scored its next point. The Sea Gulls then scored the final point to take the set 25-10.
- The two teams kept it close in set two, trading the first 10 points before York went on a 9-1 run to go up 14-6. Salisbury struggled to overcome its deficit as the Spartans kept the Sea Gulls at bay for much of the set, eventually closing it out 25-19.
- Salisbury came out on fire in the third set, scoring the first 10 points and 16 of the first 19 to take a healthy 16-3 lead. York never pulled within more than 10 as Salisbury ran away with the set, 25-15.
- The fourth set proved the most competitive of the evening, featuring 11 ties and six lead changes, but the Spartans eventually closed it out, 29-27 to tie the match up at two sets apiece.
- The Sea Gulls proved their mettle in the fifth set, scoring the first six points and 12 of the first 16 to take a 12-4 lead. York could only muster one more point before Salisbury rallied off the final three points to seal the match victory.
- Chloe Adam led the Salisbury offense with 17 kills while Amanda Chew added 15 kills. Chew also earned her 10th double-double of the season by adding 19 digs to the box score.
- Hailey Dougherty continued to set the tone on defense with a team-high 26 digs. Blair Pausic and Darian DiMatteo also reached double-digit digs with 11 and 10 digs, respectively.
- Pausic set her teammates up all evening by contributing a game-high 44 assists.
- Angelina Casserly and Jenna Feinauer led all Sea Gulls with five blocks apiece while Pausic contributed another four.
- The Sea Gulls return to action on Saturday, October 12 when they host a tri-match featuring Stockton University and CAC opponent Christopher Newport University.
- The first match between the Sea Gulls and Captains of Christopher Newport is set to begin at 11 a.m.
- Salisbury takes on Stockton to wrap up the tri-match at 3 p.m.
- Live stats and video will be available for all matches.