OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball team snapped their season-opening eight-game win streak, dropping a pair of matches at the Stevenson Invitational against Dickinson and host Stevenson on Saturday.
Final Score (Game 1): Dickinson 3, Salisbury 0 (25-23, 25-16, 25-22)
Final Score (Game 2): Stevenson 3, Salisbury 2 (22-25, 25-19, 25-22, 22-25, 15-13)
Records: Salisbury (8-2) | Stevenson (9-0) | Dickinson (6-3)
Location: Owings Mills, Md. – Owings Mills Gymnasium (Stevenson University)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury vs. Dickinson
- Salisbury and Dickinson battled back-and-forth with Salisbury holding an 18-14 lead in the first set after a kill by Jenna Feinauer. Dickinson would rally back in the first set to take the 25-23 win.
- The Salisbury attack struggled in the second set as Dickinson rifled off a 14-5 run to help clinch the second set.
- Salisbury looked to bounce back in the third set but Dickinson survived the Salisbury onslaught to get the sweep.
Salisbury vs. Stevenson
- Salisbury rebounded after the three-set sweep to Dickinson to take the first set. The set was highlighted by back-to-back service aces by Hailey Dougherty to help turn the momentum to Salisbury's side.
- Stevenson took the second and third sets to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
- Looking to take the match to a fifth-set, Salisbury got out to a quick start with an 8-2 run to start the set. Stevenson tied the set at 20 but an attack error by Victoria Prokic would put Claudia Sweitzer back to serve. Sweitzer dropped in back-to-back service aces to turn the tides in favor of the Sea Gulls.
- Kills by Chloe Adam and Hannah Sullivan would force the fifth set and tie up the match at two.
- Both teams went back-and-forth in the fifth set. Stevenson capitalized on Salisbury attack errors to take the win.
- Amanda Chew collected double-doubles in both matches. Chew tallied 16 kills and 12 digs against Dickinson. Against Stevenson, Chew put down 20 kills and dug out 11 attacks.
- Kiana Bopp tallied a double-double against Stevenson with 15 assists and 11 digs.
- Hannah Sullivan notched double figures in kills against Stevenson with 10 kills. Sullivan also blocked six attacks.
- Hailey Dougherty paced the backline with 43 digs in two matches.
- Salisbury will compete in the Arcadia University Classic starting on Friday, Sept. 20.
- Salisbury opens the two-day tournament with the UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs and the Haverford Fords starting at 5 p.m.