SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball program completed the weekend with a sweep of Sea Gull Classic as the maroon and gold defeated Clark University and Muhlenberg College on Saturday. The Sea Gulls swept both the Cougars and the Mules to open the season with a perfect 4-0 mark.
Final Score – Salisbury 3 – Clark 0 | Salisbury 3 – Muhlenberg 0
Record – Salisbury 4-0
Location – Salisbury, Md. | Maggs PAC
How It Happened:
- The Sea Gulls didn't hit below .291 in any of the three sets wile Clark broke the .150 mark for hitting percentage just once, in the first set with a .176 mark.
- For the match the maroon and gold hit .343 while the Cougars hit just .129.
- Amanda Chew led Salisbury with 13 kills while Carley Cleland posted 11 of her own along with a team-best .500 hitting percentage.
- Defensively Hailey Dougherty led the maroon and gold with 20 digs while three players; Hannah Sullivan, Cleland, and Jenna Feinauer all totaled four blocks apiece.
- In the second match of the afternoon Chew once again led the Sea Gulls on the offensive end hammering home 14 kills on 45 total attacks.
- Kiana Bopp and Claudia Sweitzer combined for 34 assists as they posted 16 and 18 respectively. Meanwhile, Cleland tallied nine kills on a team-best .474 hitting percentage.
- As a team the maroon and gold posted a .213 mark while holding the Mules to a mark of .049 and didn't allow them to break the .100 mark in any set.
- This weekend was Chew's first time tallying four consecutive matches with double-digit kills since October 6-17 in 2018.
- The 4-0 start is Salisbury's first since 2014, when the team opened the season with a 9-0 record.
- The win over Clark was the Sea Gulls' first since 2014 when the team downed the Cougars 3-2 at the SU Opener.
- Sweitzer has already surpassed the 100 assist mark and is currently averaging 7.14 assists per set.
Beyond the Box Score
- Amanda Chew was named MVP of the tournament while both Hailey Dougherty and Carley Cleland were named to the All-Tournament Team.
- All-Tournament Team
- Amanda Chew (Salisbury)
- Hailey Dougherty (Salisbury)
- Carley Cleland (Salisbury)
- Sydney Portale (Susquehanna)
- Rosina Esposito (Susquehanna)
- Courtney Grubbs (Thiel)
- Marimo Oka (Clark)
- Maya Illovsky (Muhlenberg)
- Salisbury will take to the road for the next month to compete in three separate tournaments.
- The Sea Gulls will take on Averett University on Friday, September 6 on the first day of the Randolph-Macon Invitational. The match is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.