Men's soccer plays to scoreless tie versus Marymount

Men's soccer plays to scoreless tie versus Marymount

ARLINGTON, Va. – The No. 25 Salisbury University men's soccer team went on the road and played Marymount (Va.) University to a scoreless tie in Capital Athletic Conference action on Wednesday afternoon.

Salisbury (8-3-1, 3-0-1 CAC) controlled the play and possessed the ball for the vast majority of the first half. In the period, Salisbury took six shots, with four going on net that Marymount's keeper, Logan Cropper, turned aside.

In the opening five minutes, Salisbury got a terrific shot from Dennis Runikera, Jr., and a header from Nathaniel Eiben that Cropper was able to keep out of the net.

The Salisbury defense only allowed one shot on goal in the half, and that came with under 10 minutes to go in the opening stanza. After Drew Staedeli made the save he booted it well over half to Leslie Umunna who took it down and got fouled on the edge of the Marymount 18 for a free kick. On the ensuing free kick, Michael Feeney fired a shot that beat Cropper to the right side of the net, but his defenders behind him were there to head the ball out.

Early in the second half, Salisbury was deep in the Saints' defensive zone and a Sea Gull kicked the ball high in the air in front of the goal mouth. Both Cropper and a Sea Gull went up for the ball and the ref called a foul on Cropper and awarded Salisbury with a penalty kick. Matt Greene took the kick, but Cropper made a diving save to his left to maintain the shutout.

Not long after Cropper's save, Staedeli made a highlight reel save of his own on a Marymount free kick taken just outside the Salisbury 18 -- centered to the net. Staedeli dove all the way to his right and stopped the ball from entering just inside the left post.

With eight minutes remaining in regulation, Tyler Andrus took a corner for the Sea Gulls that after landing and bouncing around the front on the net, found the foot of Daniel Kim who ripped a shot that was pushed away by the keeper. The deflection went to Eiben, who took a shot from 10 yards out that was inches away from tucking inside the right post.

In the first overtime period, the Sea Gulls had scoring opportunities throughout, but were still held scoreless. Greene and Justin Lee both got shots on cage that did not fall. Senior back Cy McNeill started the play that sprung Greene's chance as he transitioned from the defensive end quick enough to catch the Saints off guard.

With under 20 seconds to play in the second overtime, the Sea Gulls had one last push to get the game winner and Eiben had a solid chance and took a shot that went just to the left of the net to seal the scoreless tie.

Staedeli picked up five saves for his fifth shutout of the season; while Cropper had 10 saves for the Saints (5-7, 1-3 CAC).

Salisbury returns to action on Saturday, October 17 when it stays on the road to take on the University of Mary Washington in CAC play with a 3:30 p.m., kickoff.

View: Mobile | Desktop