Two second-half goals propel men's soccer to a 2-0 victory over York

Two second-half goals propel men's soccer to a 2-0 victory over York

SALISBURY Md. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team hosted York College of Pennsylvania for both teams' first game of Capital Athletic Conference play of the 2015 season and won 2-0 on a dreary afternoon at the SU Soccer Complex.

With the win, Salisbury improves to 6-2 (1-0, CAC), while York falls to 2-6-1 (0-1, CAC).

The game started with great pace and back-and-forth action as both sides had promising chances in the first ten minutes of the match. Matt Greene pressured the York defense by coming down the right side into the York box in the early moments of the game, but the play was whistled dead due to a York foul.

Minutes later, York's Christopher Saberton had the ball inside the six-yard box in front of Salisbury keeper Drew Staedeli. Saberton chipped a back-heel shot that Staedeli made a terrific reactionary save on, as he flashed his glove to stop the ball.

At the conclusion of the first half, York held the edge in shots, shots on goal, and corner kicks.

Salisbury broke the ice in the 58th minute on a beautiful header by Brooks Zentgraf. Senior captain Taylor Groginski was carrying the ball down the right side and after crossing into the 18 yard box, threw a dangerous ball in front of the goal mouth. The ball went untouched by a York defender and Zentgraf streaked down to the ball and used a full-extension dive to head the ball that was at his chest level. The ball went to the left of the York keeper, who was challenging the ball, and into the net for Zentgraf's second goal of the season.

In the 78th minute, the York defense was caught playing low in the Salisbury defensive zone and after York turned the ball over, Leslie Umunna found a bouncing ball at the half line that was being uncontested by the York defense. While the York defense eventually gained ground and pressured Umunna, he had a free lane with the still bouncing ball of about 45 yards to the net. Just outside the 18 yard box, the York keeper tried to come out to cut down the angle for Umunna, but Umunna chipped the ball over him and into the back of the net for his second marker on the season.

In the end, both teams managed 12 shots, with Salisbury putting nine on goal, and York getting six on cage. York held a 6-1 advantage in corners.

Staedeli picked up his third shutout of the season with a six-save performance. Charlie Johnson conceded the two Sea Gull goals but still had an impressive seven saves in the match.

Salisbury returns to action on Wednesday, September 30 when it plays its last scheduled non-conference game of the season versus Catholic University of America here at the SU Soccer Complex. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop