Strong second half leads Sea Gulls past York to NCAA quarterfinals

Strong second half leads Sea Gulls past York to NCAA quarterfinals

SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 2 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team advanced to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Division III tournament, defeating York College of Pennsylvania, 12-6, in a second-round game at Sea Gull Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Sea Gulls jumped out to an early lead in the first quarter, but York came back in the second to cut the lead. SU (19-1) came out of halftime leading by one goal, but opened the third quarter with two-straight scores before using dominant defense and a six-goal half to take the win.

"We talked at halftime about how we wanted to win the first five minutes of the third quarter," SU Head Coach Jim Berkman said. "We won the first five minutes and scored two right away to get that cushion."

Senior attackman Luke Phipps scored 44 seconds into the third quarter on the crease, taking a pass from senior midfielder Greg Korvin.

Just under two minutes later, senior midfielder Donovan Lange ripped a 15-yard shot to put Salisbury ahead, 8-5. Lange led the Gulls with three goals in the game, while Phipps and senior attackman Rhett DePol scored two goals and two assists, each, to lead SU with four points, each.

The Spartans cut the lead to two with 2:54 left in the third quarter, but the goal would be the only second-half score for York, as Salisbury's defense dominated the half, forcing eight turnovers and only allowing 14 shots.

DePol began a four-goal fourth quarter that took the victory, taking a pass from junior midfielder Sean Fitzgerald and scoring on the crease at the 14:13 mark, after which, Fitzgerald netted a shot of his own from the left wing with 10:56 left.

Junior attackman Mike Kane's score on the crease, and senior midfielder Brandon Kendrick's low shot while driving down the middle after a pass from DePol capped the win.

For the game, SU led in shots, 33-32, while converting on 11-of-12 clears and only turning the ball over seven times.

The Sea Gulls opened the game on a 3-1 run, with Lange netting the first goal of the game at the 10:48 mark of the first quarter from the left wing.

Junior defender Knute Kraus followed just over a minute later on a clear in transition for a low score; the goal was his first of the season and second of his career.

After a York score with 5:34 left in the first, DePol netted his first to take a 3-1 lead into the second quarter. DePol took a pass across the crease from Phipps and redirected the ball into an open cage, as the York goalkeeper was slow to get back in front of the cage after covering Phipps.

York opened the second quarter on a 2-0 run to tie the game, 3-3, in the first five minutes. After a score for sophomore midfielder Thomas Cirillo to break the tie, 4-3, the team's alternated scoring for the rest of the half. Phipps and Lange both scored in the quarter, giving SU the one-goal lead into the half.

Senior goalkeeper Alex Taylor earned the win, making five saves in the effort.

The Sea Gulls now look forward to an NCAA quarterfinal game, taking on Denison University, which defeated Aurora University in another second-round game on Saturday; the game will take place on Wednesday, with the time and place to be determined. Log on to for more information about the game as it becomes available.

View: Mobile | Desktop