Salisbury nips Wesley in double overtime, 83-78; earns third seed in CAC tournament

Salisbury nips Wesley in double overtime, 83-78; earns third seed in CAC tournament

DOVER, Del. – Sophomore Chris Viqueira hit a three-pointer with 2:50 left in the second overtime to break a 72-72 tie and the Salisbury University men's basketball team outlasted No. 25 Wesley, 83-78, in the final game of the Capital Athletic Conference regular season at Wentworth Gym on Saturday.

Wesley's Paul Reynolds made 1-of-2 free throws 30 seconds later to get the Wolverines to within two, the closest they got the rest of the game. Viqueira and Tim Harwood sank three from the line to ensure the win for Salisbury (18-7, 9-3 CAC), which won its third straight overtime game and fourth of the season. The 18 regular-season wins are the most for the Sea Gulls since the 1996-97 season, when the team went 25-6.

By virtue of seventh-ranked 7 St. Mary's (Md.) College's 89-80 win over the University of Mary Washington on Saturday, Salisbury earned the third seed in the upcoming CAC tournament and will host sixth-seeded York (Pa.) College on Tuesday at Maggs Physical Activities Center at 8 p.m.

Harwood rebounded Viqueira's missed three-point attempt and drained his own at the 2:43 mark of the first overtime to give SU a 69-67 advantage. Wesley (19-6, 9-3), however, received four quick points, on a jump shot from David Langan and layup by Reynolds, to take a 71-69 edge with 48 seconds left.

Harwood, who finished with a career-high 30 points, came back with another three, assisted by Travon Vann, helping the Gulls to a 72-71 lead with 38 seconds left, but Vann fouled Reynolds with three second left and he knocked down a free throw to send the game to a second extra session.

Vann came up with his sixth double-double of the season with 21 points and 18 rebounds. He also added six assists, while shooting 7-for-13 from the field in 47 minutes. Harwood shot 8-for-15, including 7-for-10 from downtown. Elijah Gore chipped in with 11 points.

The Wolverines erased an eight-point halftime deficit to force overtime. Wesley took its first lead of the second half, 57-56, on a Reynolds jumper from Langan with 3:13 to play.

Tied at 60-60 with 50 seconds left, Harwood hit another three to give SU what seemed like the winning margin, but after Vann missed the front end of a 1-and-1, Reynolds grabbed the board and hit a trying three with five second left.

Wesley shot 41.6 percent (32-for-77) for the game and got 26 points and 12 rebounds from Reynolds and 21 points and 12 boards from Langan. Selby also had 13 for the Wolverines, who outscored Salisbury, 48-14, in the paint.

Salisbury shot 40 percent (22-of-55) and outrebounded Wesley, 50-41. SU's bench outscored the Wolverines', 30-14

Down, 13-8, midway through the first half, Salisbury used a 7-0 run in one minute to take a 15-13 lead with 9:33 remaining. Vann started things, sinking a free throw and Harwood followed with a three-pointer from Dylan Robeson, before Vann gathered an offensive rebound and found Robeson for a three of his own.

Anthony Bowers responded with a three-pointer to take the lead back, 16-15 with 9:17 left. Reynolds also hit a three from Eric Selby to open a 21-17 advantage, but a Vann jumper and Gore three knotted the game at 22-22 at the 4:56 mark.

Tied at 24-24, the Sea Gulls closed the half with an 11-3 stretch to take a 35-27 lead into the locker room. Gore canned two threes and Harwood one in the run.

As a team, Salisbury shot 6-for-13 from three-point range (46 percent) in the opening 20 minutes.

View: Mobile | Desktop