SALISBURY, Md. – The seventh-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team cruised to a 3-0 win in their 2019 home opener over the Stevenson Mustangs on Wednesday.
Final Score: No. 7 Salisbury 3, Stevenson 0
Records: Salisbury (3-0) | Stevenson (1-2)
Location: Salisbury, Md. – Sea Gull Stadium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury was able to get a penalty corner as the first-quarter buzzer sounded. Mack Dinopoulos found Jillian Hughes at the top of the arc and she was able to get a goal past the Stevenson defense to give the Sea Gulls the 1-0 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- After Arielle Johnston forced a Stevenson turnover in the midfield, Johnston was able to find McKenzie Mitchell in front of the cage just 36 seconds into the second quarter.
- Salisbury added their third goal of the game in the 36th minute. Rachel Domanico corralled a rebound off the penalty corner and passed the ball along to Allie Davis who pushed the ball in the bottom corner of the cage.
- Salisbury dominated possession the entire game with Stevenson not registering a single shot.
- Salisbury held a 28-0 shot advantage over Stevenson.
- Salisbury had 12 penalty corners in the contest.
- Hughes scored on her only shot of the game in the first quarter.
- Mitchell and Davis added goals while Dinopoulos, Johnston and Domanico each collected an assist.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It is the first time since Oct. 11, 2017, against Wesley that Salisbury didn't allow a single shot from the opposing team.
- Hughes, Mitchell and Davis all recorded their first goal of the 2019 season.
- Davis' second-half score was the first of her collegiate career.
- Salisbury welcomes the fourth-ranked Messiah Falcons to Sea Gull Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 7.
- Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m.
- Live stats and video are available for the contest.