Field hockey falls in shootout against No. 4 Tufts in NCAA third round

Field hockey falls in shootout against No. 4 Tufts in NCAA third round

SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 6 Salisbury University field hockey team saw its season come to a close in a shootout in the third round of the NCAA tournament on Sunday afternoon to No. 4 Tufts University, after the game went scoreless for 90 minutes of play.

The Jumbos controlled play throughout much of the first half, registering the game's first seven shot attempts, but Salisbury's sophomore goalkeeper Dom Farrace was able to make three first half saves to keep the game scoreless.

Salisbury earned its first sustained offensive possession in the closing minutes of the half, getting its first penalty corner opportunity with less than three minutes left, allowing junior Arielle Johnston to get two shots off, but both were blocked.

Farrace turned away two quick chances by the Jumbos in the first two minutes of the second half and finished the game with eight saves in the contest.

The game remained tight through the second half, with each side having opportunities, but the defenses held on to preserve the scoreless tie.

Late in regulation, a pair of yellow cards against the Jumbos (18-2) gave Salisbury a decided advantage heading to the extra session, but Tufts was able to control the ball, killing the penalty time, working the field to an even seven players on each side.

The Sea Gulls (17-3) had five successive penalty corner tries, getting four shots off, one of the best chances came as the ball swung around to the left side and Jenna Partilla lifted a shot over Tufts goalkeeper Andie Stallman, but the try carried over the cage.

After 20 minutes of overtime, the teams headed to a shootout, where each team made two of their first five tries. Fallon Shaughnessy was able to convert on the first extra try for Tufts while Johnston saw a chance miss the cage for Salisbury, giving the Jumbos the victory, sending them to the national championship weekend.

View: Mobile | Desktop