Late-game comeback pushes St. Mary's past Salisbury in CAC title game

Late-game comeback pushes St. Mary's past Salisbury in CAC title game

SALISBURY, Md. – After leading 10-8 with 11:01 left in the Capital Athletic Conference championship game, the No. 8 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team allowed four-straight goals as St. Mary's College of Maryland regained the lead and, ultimately, defeated the Sea Gulls, 13-11, at Sea Gull Stadium on Sunday afternoon, as Salisbury fell in a CAC title game for the first time since 2010.

The Seahawks took the lead early in the game on goals from Patrick Mull and Matt Tarrant, the team leader with four in the game, but the Sea Gulls would tie the score just before the end of the first quarter.

Salisbury's first goal came from junior attackman Rhett DePol, one of two Sea Gulls with three goals in the game, who took a pass from sophomore midfielder Kyle Goss on the crease and faked the goalkeeper for the score.

With just over one minute remaining in the quarter, senior midfielder Eric Kluge, the other Salisbury player with three goals, took a pass from DePol and ripped a shot from 15 yards out into the top of the cage to knot the score, 2-2.

After two quick goals from St. Mary's to start the second quarter, the Sea Gulls went on a five-goal run from five different goal scorers to grab a three-goal lead at the half.

Goals from DePol and junior midfielder Tyler Smith tied the game, 4-4, before sophomore midfielder James Burton grabbed the first lead of the game for Salisbury by driving left and planting a shot into the top-right corner.

Kluge and freshman attackman Brady Dashiell found the net before the end of the half, allowing Salisbury to take a 7-4 lead into the break.

At the half, Salisbury led in shots, 28-11, while the Seahawks led in ground balls, 18-13, and face offs won with 8-of-13.

The second half started with St. Mary's scoring in the first minute for the second-straight quarter. Neither team would score again until the 4:46 mark, with the Seahawks cutting SU's lead to 7-6, but DePol netted his third goal with one second left in the third on a shot from 20 yards to take an 8-6 lead into the final quarter.

The Sea Gulls were outscored 7-3 in the fourth quarter and only scored one of the final six goals in the game, as St. Mary's completed the comeback with Conor Jordan scoring the go-ahead goal with 6:02 remaining.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor played all 60 minutes in the cage and made six saves for the Gulls.

The Sea Gulls now will look to the NCAA tournament selection show tonight, Sunday, May 5 at 10 p.m. for one of the tournament's at-large bids. The live webcast will be available at

View: Mobile | Desktop