Late-game surge held off by Mustangs as Sea Gulls fall, 10-8

Late-game surge held off by Mustangs as Sea Gulls fall, 10-8

SALISBURY, Md. – After finding itself down by five goals with 10:30 left in the third quarter, the No. 6 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team scored five-straight goals to tie No. 3 Stevenson University in the fourth quarter, but two late Mustang goals stopped the comeback as the Sea Gulls fell at Sea Gull Stadium, 10-8, Wednesday night.

Senior midfielder Eric Kluge and sophomore attackman Wade Korvin combined for the five goals in the run, while Kluge and senior attackman Stephen Norris both scored three goals in the game to lead the Gulls.

Norris netted the first score in the game, taking a pass from Kluge, spinning and beating the Mustangs' keeper for the early lead.

Stevenson took the lead, 2-1, with back-to-back goals at the 9:01 and 8:56 marks, but Norris tied the game with a goal on the crease with 7:29 left in the quarter and regained the lead with his third less than 90 seconds later putting a behind-the-back shot in the bottom-left corner of the cage.

The Mustangs' Pat Candon tied the game, 3-3, and the teams took that score into the second quarter. Stevenson netted two in the second to take a 5-3 lead into the half.

At the break, Stevenson led in shots, 24-18, and faceoffs, six-of-nine, but the Salisbury defense killed all four of the Mustangs' man-up opportunities. For the game, the Gulls killed 11-of-13 man-up chances.

Stevenson started the third quarter with three unanswered goals, to take the five-goal lead, two of which were scored by Tyler Reid, who led the team with three goals.

Trailing 8-3 with 9:29 remaining in the third quarter, Korvin planted a behind-the-back shot in the left side of the goal on an assist from junior attackman Rhett DePol to start the five-goal run. Kluge followed with his first just over one minute later, driving right, cutting back left and ripping a left-handed shot.

Korvin and Kluge traded goals at the end of the third to cut the lead to 8-7.

The teams played the first nine minutes of the fourth quarter without any goals, but Kluge would strike again at the 5:56 mark to tie the game. He drove right, beat a double team and ripped a shot into the lower-left corner for a man-down goal to tie the game, 8-8.  

The tied stood until Stevenson capitalized on its final man-up chance as Clandon scored his second on an assist from Chris Dashiell. Reid capped the win with his third.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor played the entire game in the cage for the Gulls and made 15 saves.

Salisbury will look to rebound on Saturday as the 17th-ranked University of Mary Washington comes to Sea Gull Stadium for a 1 p.m., Capital Athletic Conference game.

View: Mobile | Desktop