Field hockey closes regular season with 2-0 win over St. Mary's

Field hockey closes regular season with 2-0 win over St. Mary's

SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 7 Salisbury University field hockey team closed out the regular season with a 2-0 win against visiting St. Mary's College of Maryland on Wednesday night at Sea Gull Stadium.

The Sea Gull defense kept its stellar run going, recording the team's fifth-consecutive shutout, pushing its scoreless streak to 369:33 minutes, allowing only one shot attempt for the Seahawks (8-10, 2-4 CAC) – that coming in the 66th minute – which would not reach the front of the goal.

Salisbury (11-3, 5-1 CAC) got on the board with the game's first goal nearly 15 minutes into the contest on a penalty stroke set up by good ball movement from sophomore Jillian Hughes, freshman Jenna Partilla, and junior Emily Lemanski.

Hughes held control just on the offensive side of midfield, sending a ball just ahead of Partilla. The sophomore got a stick on it chipping forward to Lemanski, who made a quick pass into space for Partilla just inside the circle. Partilla's shot from the right wing was blocked, but got through to the front of the net where a scrum with St. Mary's goalkeeper Alyssa Thompson and two other players resulted in the penalty stroke being called.

Freshman Rebecca Lloyd was called on to take the try and buried it for the 1-0 lead.

The Seahawks' best chance in the opening half came with four minutes to play in the period when a cross headed in front of Salisbury goalkeeper Tressie Windsor. The senior was in position as the ball approached the stick of Meghan Ronan, but so was sophomore defender Arielle Johnston, who took the ball off Ronan's stick and cleared it out of the circle.

Salisbury doubled its lead just eight minutes into the second half when Partilla notched her second goal of the year. She brought the ball into the left side of the circle and ripped a shot on goal. Thompson was able to kick the try away, but it deflected off a Seahawk defender's shin guard and into the goal for the 2-0 Sea Gull advantage.

Johnston looked to pad the Salisbury lead with back-to-back shots from the left side, but both were kicked away by Thompson – two of her eight saves in the game.

Windsor did not need to make any saves, with the defense and midfield in front of her keeping the ball out of the circle for much of the game. St. Mary's attempted the one shot, which came off its lone penalty corner in the contest.

Having already secured the No. 2 seed in next week's CAC tournament, the Sea Gulls will host third-seeded York College of Pennsylvania in a conference semifinal match on Wednesday, November 1 at Sea Gull Stadium.

View: Mobile | Desktop