Salisbury University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics' Philosophy
Salisbury University's athletics program vision is to be recognized as the Division III national model for intercollegiate athletics programs for the 21st century by exemplifying the principles and practices of a winning athletics program with outstanding educational value and emphasis. We expect to achieve national eminence as an athletics program through a commitment to the overall quality of the educational experience of the student-athlete, good sportsmanship, integrity, respect for others and dedication to goals by staff and student-athletes.
As Salisbury University places the highest emphasis on the overall quality of the educational experience, the athletics program likewise affirms academics as the highest priority in the life of student-athletes. In so doing, we seek to strengthen the integration of athletics program objectives with academic and developmental objectives.
Recognizing that students have needs and interests that go beyond the scope of academic life, the University is committed to providing an intercollegiate athletics program consistent with those needs and interests. Recognizing further the positive impact of athletics participation on individual development, and consistent with the University's mission, the athletics program seeks to encourage attitudes of integrity and fairness, respect for others and dedication to goals.
The athletics program, consonant with NCAA Division III rules and regulations, is guided by the following principles:
1. Place special importance on the impact of athletics on the participants rather than on the spectators and place greater emphasis on the internal constituency (students, alumni, institutional personnel) than on the general public and its entertainment needs.
2. Award no athletically related financial aid to any student.
3. Encourage the development of sportsmanship and positive societal attitudes in all constituents, including student-athletes, coaches, administrative personnel and spectators.
4. Encourage participation by maximizing the number and variety of athletics opportunities for students.
5. Assure that the actions of coaches and administrators exhibit fairness, openness and honesty in their relationships with student-athletes.
6. Assure that athletics participants are not treated differently from other members of the student body.
7. Assure that athletics programs support the institution's educational mission by financing, staffing and controlling the programs through the same general procedures as other departments of the institution.
8. Provide equitable athletics opportunities for males and females and give equal emphasis to men's and women's sports.
9. Give primary emphasis to regional in-season competition and conference championships.
10. Support student-athletes in their efforts to reach high levels of athletics performance, which may include opportunities for participation in national championships, by providing all teams with adequate facilities, competent coaching and appropriate competitive opportunities.
PRINCIPLES OF LEARNING FOR SALISBURY ATHLETICS
Salisbury athletics is committed to engaging student-athletes in active learning. Active learning opportunities encourage experimentation, application, involvement, and reflection, and advance more complex ways of thinking.
Salisbury athletics helps students to develop coherent values and ethical standards. Student-athletes are challenged to identify, examine, and construct meaningful values for a life of learning and responsible citizenship.
Salisbury athletics sets and communicates high expectations for learning. Student-athletes hear clear expectations regarding a wide range of experiences and competencies, including academic performance, individual and community responsibility, and commitment to team goals.
Salisbury athletics uses resources effectively to achieve institutional mission and goals. Financial, material, and human resource are focused on enhancing student-athlete learning and the overall experience.
Salisbury athletics forges educational partnerships that advance student-athlete learning. Collaboration with student-athletes, faculty, administrators, and others provides multiple perspectives on shared commitments and fosters healthy decision making.
Salisbury athletics builds supportive and inclusive teams. Student-athlete learning occurs best in a safe and caring community that values diversity, promotes belonging, and demands social responsibility.